P.A.T.R. Home Page P.A.T.R. Home Page
 Help Out 

Paws And Shop
Now on facebook check us out
Past Paw Prints
Donate your cans to help the animals
Stop Animal Cruelty

Autumn Safety

             Safety Tips from ASPCA
  1. The use of highly toxic rodenticides increases as rodents attempt to move indoors. If you must use these products, do so with extreme caution and put them in places inaccessible to your pets.

  2. Help your pet head into autumn and winter with a clean bill of health! Schedule a wellness exam with your vet today. They will also make sure your furry friend's immunizations are up-to-date.

  3. It's back-to-school time, and those of you with young children know that means stocking up on glue sticks, crayons, pencils and magic markers. Since gastrointestinal upset and blockages are possible, be sure your children keep their school supplies out of paw's reach.

  4. In order to generate body heat, pets who exercise heavily outdoors, or who live outdoors, should be given more food during colder seasons.

  5. Make sure horses and all other outdoor animals have access to clean, fresh water that is not frozen.

  6. Repair the doghouse to prevent water leakage and excessive drafts. Always use fresh hay or straw as bedding; a blanket provides no warmth and will simply get wet and moldy.

  7. Autumn is the season when snakes preparing for hibernation are particularly "grumpy," increasing the possibility of bites to those unlucky pups who find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time. Know what kinds of snakes may be in their environment - and where these snakes are most likely to be found - so you can keep pets out of those areas.

  8. Many people choose fall as the time to change their car's engine coolant. Ethylene glycol-based coolants are highly toxic, so spills should be cleaned up immediately. Consider switching to propylene glycol-based coolants-though they aren't completely nontoxic, they are much less toxic than other engine coolants.

  9. Fall is prime mushroom season. While 99% of mushrooms have little or no toxicity, the 1% that are toxic can cause life-threatening problems in pets. Unfortunately, most of the highly toxic mushrooms are difficult to distinguish from the nontoxic ones, so the best way to keep pets from ingesting poisonous mushrooms is to keep them away from areas where any mushrooms are growing. Contact your vet immediately if you witness your pet eating a wild mushroom.

Sitemap   Copyright • 2020 • Paws Along the River • 212 Elm Street • Warren, PA 16365 • 814-726-1961   Contact Us
Paws Along the River is a non-profit business and can't be held responsible for typographical errors, invalid or out dated content
or content that is linked to or from our web site. All offers, products and prices are subject to change without notice.